Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Game Day Snacks

My Monday involved doing one of the coolest heart tests yet, the stress echo. Prior to yesterday, I had done a cardiac MRI, 2 echos, 2 holter monitors, 1 catheter ablation, and 1 echo bubble test....I think that touches on everything. Oh, did I mention that's all been done since March? Crazy, I know. Well, yesterday I did my last heart test. I must say, it was my favorite so far since it required me to run. How many times do you actually get to workout in the hospital?

The stress echo is amazing because it shows you how your heart looks after exercising. Thankfully, the doctor liked what she saw, so that means I don't have to go back there for a long time (fingers crossed). This whole heart experience, despite being frustrating at times,  has led me to become totally fascinated by my heart and how it functions. Such a small organ does so much, and it deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. AKA- eating right and exercising. 

I promised you in my last post that I would return this week with new recipes. I know, it's been a while. Well, last weekend I spent 5+ hours in my kitchen making pumpkin butter, sweet potato dip, tamale pie, and apple dumplings (clearly not for the blog... just to spoil my husband since I lost a bet with him). Needless to say, get ready to wow your palate this week! 

I'll share all of the recipes with you eventually, but today let's focus on the Smoky Sweet Potato Dip. I originally found this recipe on The Professional Palate, and just had to try it for a Sunday football snack.I love this snack because it takes 10 minutes to make and is filled with vitamin C. I also love it because you can serve it as a dip, or just serve it by itself with dinner. Either way, you'll be fueling strong.



Give this recipe a try, and let me know what you think in the comments box below. You can pair it with pita, vegetables, or baked tortilla chips to make the perfect snack. Enjoy:)


                                                         Smoky Sweet Potato Dip
                                           Inspiration from The Professional Palate
                                                                   Serves 2

Ingredients

1 Medium Sweet Potato
1 Canned Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce (Find in Mexican Aisle)
Juice of 1 Lime
2 T Salsa
1/4 C Low Fat Cheddar Cheese (or Pepper Jack)

Instructions

1. Poke holes in the sweet potato and microwave it for 3-5 minutes, until it is soft.
2. Let the potato cool, then peel and chop.
3. Place the potato and remaining ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature with veggies, crackers, pita, or baked tortilla chips.  

No comments:

Post a Comment