Friday, August 10, 2012

Asparagus Fries

Happy Friday! Does anyone have plans for an active weekend? I don't have my plans nailed down yet, but I plan on some nice long runs along the lake, granted the winds don't blow me over. We are expecting 14 foot waves in Lake Michigan today, so needless to say... Chicagoans run and bike with caution on the trail!

With the weekend ahead, I thought I would give you one of my favorite snacks, Asapargus Fries. I know you're first thought, "Kelsey, is telling me that eating fries is okay?" Usually I would say no way, but in this case, they are okay and eat as many as you want! As stated in the title, asparagus serves as the main component of the fry, and it's baked! I prefer to eat mine plain, but Kyle thinks they pair well with BBQ sauce.

Try out the recipe this weekend, and let me know what you think. I recommend eating them all the first day because they don't stay as crispy on day 2. Have a great weekend, and continue to fuel strong.


                                                                  Asparagus Fries
                                                                      Serves 4
Ingredients
1 lb Asparagus - Cut each asparagus spear in half
2 eggs - Beaten
1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
1 C Unseasoned Bread Crumbs or Panko
1/4 C Parmesan Cheese
1 t Dried Oregano
Salt and Pepper

Get Cookin'
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Place the beaten eggs in a medium sized bowl and season with salt and pepper
3. Add the asparagus and flour in a gallon size bag. Shake well to coat the spears.
4. Take the spears and dredge in a the egg.
5. In another gallon sized Ziploc bag, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan, and oregano. Close it up and give it a shake to mix everything well.
5. Place the asparagus in the bread crumb mixture, close the bag and shake well making sure each "fry" is coated well.
6. Spread the fries on a baking sheet, and season with salt and pepper. Spray the fries with the some cooking spray to make them crispy.
7. Back for 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.

PS- Coyote Fans (Kyle's company)--- Kyle will be bringing in some treats for you guys next week. I think I will add them to my "indulgences" section. Every strong body deserves a little sugar every once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. this looks phenomenal and super easy! definitely going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete