Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fish Tacos with a Mexican Cabbage Slaw

It is only 10:30AM, but I can already tell you that today is going to be a good day. Kyle and I started the day off with a great church service, and now I am sitting on my balcony watching the Chicago Triathlon. As I watch every cyclist fight the Chicago wind, I continue to dream of the day when I get to participate.  I had every intention of racing this year until I found out I needed a heart procedure mid training. Thankfully, I only have athlete's heart, so next year I'll be out there racing and living the dream!

I hope you all are having a great weekend. I want to give a big shout out to the Lincoln Park Ruby Football Club! They beat their rivals yesterday 76-7! It was a great way to open season especially after losing to the team three times last fall/spring. In order to celebrate the win, I made one of Kyle's favorite dishes - Fish Tacos. I love this dish because it makes me feel like I am sitting on the beach in Cabo at Seven Seas, my favorite place to get fish tacos.



The real highlight of this dish is the red cabbage slaw on top. It is so delicious that you almost forget you are eating vegetables. Not only is the red cabbage tasty, but it also helps lower cholesterol. Do yourself a favor, and put away the box of Cheerios for the day and load up on some cabbage! Give this recipe a try to fuel strong this week!


                                              Fish Tacos with a Mexican Cabbage Slaw
                                                                     Serves 4

Ingredients

3 Tilapia Fillets
Salt and Pepper
3 Limes
1 Small Head of Red Cabbage (or half of a large one)
1 1/2 T Chopped Cilantro
4 T Low-Fat Ranch Dressing
1/2 T Chili Powder
1/2 T Cumin
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Corn Tortillas

Get Cookin'

1. Heat a large saute pan with 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium high heat.
2. Season the fish with salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes on each side. These will cook fast, so be sure to watch them.
3. Once all of the fish is cooked, break the fish into smaller pieces the will fit in the tortillas
4. Cut 2 of your limes into quarters. These will be served with each taco.
5. Finely slice the cabbage and place it in a large bowl.
6. In in separtate bowl, mix together the ranch dressing, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and the juice of 1/2 a lime.
7. Add the ranch mixture to the cabbage and mix well until all of the slaw is coated. If you notice that you need more dressing, just make half of the original amount and add it to the slaw.
8. Mix in the cilantro to the slaw and season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Warm your corn tortillas until they are soft. Place the fish in the tortilla and top with the cabbage slaw.
10. Take your lime wedges and put the juice of one wedge on each tortilla, and start fueling strong!



No comments:

Post a Comment