Friday, August 31, 2012

Protein Oats

Happy birthday to my favorite 2 year old! My adorable nephew turns 2 today, and I cannot wait to go to Indiana this weekend to see him! Last weekend, Kyle and I went on an adventure to find the best gift for him. He loves Mickey, but Kyle thought a trip to the Lego Store would be an even better idea. Honestly, I think Kyle just wanted me to buy him some Legos. It didn't take long for us to decide that Korbin needed a Lego zoo set, and Kyle has already volunteered to help him build it. I guess I know what to get Kyle for Christmas this year.

Little man has grown so much in one year! 

I told you in an earlier post that I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast. During the week I make Protein Oats. This breakfast is filled with protein, carbs, and natural sugars that will keep you energized and satisfied until lunch. Not only is it healthy for you, but it is also delicious!

I use protein powder and almond or peanut butter to load the oatmeal with plenty of protein.  Don't worry the protein powder won't make you bulk up like the Hulk, unless you are eating the whole tub in one sitting. Instead, it will fuel you with protein that will help build muscle. Remember more muscle means: you burn more calories, you become lean, and you protect your bones from deterioration.

Today I mixed raspberries, blueberries, and figs into my oatmeal. I figured I might as well take advantage of these fruits while they are still in season. When winter comes I tend to add bananas and apples to the mix since berries are more expensive that time of year. Add in whatever fruits you like, and start fueling strong.


                                                                   Protein Oatmeal
                                                                        Serves 1

Ingredients
½ C Oats (I prefer thick rolled oats, but you use quick oats)
1 C Water
1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
½ C Fruit (Blueberries, raspberries, figs, bananas, or sometimes I choose to put all of them in!)
3 T Vanilla Almond Milk
1 T Flax Seed
1 T Almond or Peanut Butter
¼ tsp Cinnamon

Get Cooking
1.       Place ½ C oats and 1 C water into a microwaveable bowl and microwave for a 1:30 – 2 minutes
2.       Add all of the ingredients above. Stir and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment