Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Chicken Wings' Healthy Sister

Kyle and I had another eventful spinning date last night. We both weren't feeling the hottest before going, but thankfully we made it through with sweat filled shirts to prove it. You should have seen the faces of the people in the elevator when they saw how gross we are. Sorry neighbors, next time we will walk the 29 flights of stairs to spare you the sight.

I love spinning date nights, but I hate the 8 hour turn around before my next work out. Just let me tell you, my run this morning was slower than I would have liked, but at least I got my miles in. Some days that is all that matters.

On a different note, I received my study materials last night for my health coaching license. Woo! The main book is 700 or so pages, so it may take me a while to get through it, but I'm ready for the challenge.


Thanks for all of the great responses on my cauliflower pizza recipe. After enjoying that meal, I decided to venture a little more with the vegetable. One of Kyle's favorite indulgences are chicken wings, but he doesn't eat them often since they are not the healthiest (sorry if learning this just ruined your night). Well, I saw a recipe for buffalo cauliflower, and decided to see if a chicken wing fanactic would like them.

I am not a fan of anything spicy, so I didn't even try them, but Kyle loves them! Yes, you heard that... he loves buffalo cauliflower almost as much as its sinful sister the fried chicken wings.  The recipe is very easy and the best part is they fill you up! They don't provide a lot of protein, but that flaw can be overlooked for this healthy snack.

Give this a try for your football parties this weekend! 

                                                                Buffalo Cauliflower
                                                          Inspired by Edible Mosaic

Ingredients

1 Head of Cauliflower
1 C Milk
3/4 C Flour (I used whole wheat)
1 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper
1/2 T Butter
1/2 C Hot Sauce (I used Frank's)

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the milk, flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Cut the cauliflower into bite size pieces.
4. Dip each cauliflower piece into the flour mixture, and place on the baking sheet.
5. Spray the cauliflower with cooking spray to make them crispy. Then bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. While the veggies are baking, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Once melted, add the hot sauce and mix together.
7. Once the cauliflower have cooked, toss them in the buffalo sauce and serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment