Monday, September 24, 2012

Back at Soldier Field + Stuffed Acorn Squash

I finally made my way back to Soldier Field yesterday for my first game of the season. I have to admit, it was weird sitting in the stands and not working the game, but I enjoyed every minute of it. My wonderful friends at the Bears hooked me up with field access before the game. I stood on field for every game last year, but there was something about yesterday's experience that literally brought me to tears (thank goodness I had sunglasses on, so no one could tell). I can't pinpoint what exactly made me cry, but I know part of it was being humbled by God's gift of letting me work for the Bears. He has let me see some pretty amazing things in only 23 years .


Well, I am done with the sappy part of the weekend. The game was a lot of fun, and it was great to see the Bears win on a beautiful fall day. After the game, Kyle and I hit up Argo Tea for a Low Fat Pumpkin Chai Tea Latte. If you live near an Argo Tea, drop everything you are doing and get one now. They are a little piece of Heaven. If you aren't fortunate to live near one, I'll try to replicate the recipe one of these days, so you guys don't feel left out. 

Finally, we ended the night with one of my favorite fall vegetarian dishes: Stuffed Acorn Squash. This meal is filled with beans, quinoa, spinach, onions, and spices. All in all, it's a perfect protein packed meal that will keep you satisfied for hours. If you aren't into eating vegetarian, give this recipe a try. I promise you won't even miss the meat! Ask my rugby husband, he'll tell you it's true. Give it a try, and let me know what you think. Have a great week!


                                                              Stuffed Acorn Squash
                                                                         Serves 4

Ingredients

2 Acorn Squash, Cut in half and gutted
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 Box Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed (I prefer no-salt added)
3 T Cumin
1 1/2 T Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper
3/4 C Quinoa
2 C Water
1/2 C Low Fat Cheddar Cheese

Start Cooking

1. Set your oven to 375 degrees. 
2. Place 2 squash halves in the microwave and heat for 4 minutes. Repeat with the other squash. This will cut down on the cooking time in the oven. 
3. In a medium pot, heat 1 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until they become translucent, about 5 minutes. Be sure to stir them often because you do not want the garlic to burn.
4. Add the beans, spinach, cumin, and chili powder. Mix well. 
5. Add the quinoa and water to the mixture and cover with a lid. Cook this until the quinoa has sprouted. This will take about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir often. Once it is done, add salt and pepper to taste. 
6. Place the squash in a large casserole dish and stuff with the quinoa mixture. 
7. Bake for about 30 minutes. Then add a little cheddar cheese to the top of each one and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Let these cool for about 10 minutes, then dig in! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I've made acorn squash stuffed with sausage for years and we love it so much that I didn't know what to do with it since our diet has become "plant strong!"
    I'll let you know how everyone likes it!! xoxoxo Sheila

    ReplyDelete