Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fall into this Comfort Breakfast

Is it weird that I absolutely love waking up at 5:15 every morning to workout? For me, there is nothing like getting out of bed and going straight to the gym to start the day with a good butt kicking workout. I actually enjoy the days where I have such a hard workout that it's difficult to walk into work or when my arms won't stop shaking while I am doing my makeup. 

Yes, many think I am crazy. I mean how many 23 year olds really wake up before dawn when they don't have to? Better yet, how many 23 years olds go to bed around 9:45 to make sure they aren't too tired when the alarm goes off? I'll admit, I'm not normal, but I love my routine.

I love my Butler Power shirt! I got this for hang cleaning some major weight(when I used to lift really heavy for volleyball).
I also love that the same people go to my gym at 5:30 AM. You almost feel like they are your friends because you see them everyday. When I was out for heart surgery, an older lady (note: she is in killer shape) noticed I was gone and ran up to me on my first day back because she missed seeing me. It's the little things like that, that make my day. 

After my morning workouts, I refuel with protein oatmeal. I shared one of my recipes with you a while back, but lately I decided to change things up. I threw together a hodgepodge of ingredients yesterday, and made Pumpkin Pie Oats. I know, you are probably tired of seeing my pumpkin recipes, but you can't pass this one up. It's not everyday that you get to eat "pumpkin pie" for breakfast! 

You can eat this "pie" without feeling guilty too because it is filled with protein, carbs, and healthy fats. The perfect fueling strong combo. Give it a try, and let me know what you think below. Who knows, maybe you'll love it so much that you'll serve oats instead of actual pie at Thanksgiving this year. -Ha...I'm not sure that would work in my house. 


                                                                      Pumpkin Pie Oats
                                                                            Serves 1

Ingredients

1/2 C Rolled Oats
1/2 C Water
1/4 C Pumpkin Puree (don't use the pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
A dash of Cinnamon
2 T Chopped Walnuts (or Almonds)
2 T Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 tsp Honey
1 T (or 1/2 Scoop) Vanilla Protein Powder
1 tsp Flax Seed


Start Cooking

1. Mix the oats and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the oatmeal for 2 minutes. 
2. Stir in the remaining ingredients, and start fueling strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment