Monday, September 10, 2012

Falafel

No "case of the Mondays" for me today! Like most people, Mondays aren't usually my day, but today was a little different. I got a phone call from my dad around 9:45 this morning because he was going to be in town for a couple of hours and wanted to take me to lunch! It was a pleasant surprise, and I always welcome lunch guests! To say the least, his visit immediately turned an average day into a great one.
 
You know what else makes my Mondays great? Meatless Mondays!! I enjoy eating vegetarian 4-5 times a week, but on Mondays even Kyle participates. Yes, I'm sure it's hard to believe, but he really does! This week I made one of my favorites, Falafel. For those of you who have never tried this wonderful Middle Eastern food, give it a try!

Falafel is made with chickpeas and usually deep fried. Don't even think about touching the deep fryer with my recipe though! Instead, I spray my skillet with a little cooking spray and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This allows for a nice crust and half of the calories and fat. Not only is this meal delicious, it is packed with protein and fiber! Enjoy these patties in a pita or whole grain tortilla with some hummus and feta cheese. No matter how you eat it, you can rest assured knowing that you are fueling strong.


                                                                         Falafel
                                                                        Serves 4
Ingredients

1 Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Garlic Clove
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Salt and Pepper

Start Cooking

1. Add the garlic clove and onion to a food processor. Chop the ingredients until they are finely chopped.
2. Place the onion mixture in a large bowl.
3. In the same food processor, finely chop the chickpeas. You can leave some of the chickpeas coursely chopped for more texture.
4. Add the chickpeas to the onion mixture. Add the remaing ingredients and mix well.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and create 4 large patties.
6. Spray a medium skillet and add 1/2 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan. Heat over medium heat.
7. Cook the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown.
8. Once golden brown, remove from heat and serve on a pita or whole grain tortilla with hummus. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment